Howard Hill Longbow

Discussion in 'Long Bows' started by SeventiesWreckers, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Dec 30, 2017 #1

SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers

Load Bearing Wall  

Howard Hill Longbow

Mfg. rating - 45# @ 26"

But, Scheel's bench draw is 53# @ 28". Which is the draw length I pull it at.

A very nice, light bow to carry.

P8040783.jpg

P8040786.jpg

P8040785.jpg

P8040784_2.jpg

Retired1, gumpy and 303tom like this.
  2. Dec 30, 2017 #2

Greg_R

Greg_R

Greg_R

Dosen't get any better than Howard Hill.

gumpy and SeventiesWreckers like this.
  3. Dec 30, 2017 #3

SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers

Load Bearing Wall  

It's the best longbow I've ever owned, so, I'd have to agree.

gumpy likes this.
  4. Dec 30, 2017 #4

Greg_R

Greg_R

Greg_R

Howard Hill was the Guru of traditional Archery.

I have had an interest in traditional Archery ever since I found an old flatbow in the Uwharrie mountains when I was in the boy scouts. It was really nothing more than an old gray stick that obviously someone had crafted. Being young and dumb I took some fishing line made a bow string, and broke the old bow in half trying to string it. My scout master told me I should have shown him before I broke it. He took it and me to the Morrow Mountain museum where it was determined to be of the type that the Indians that inhabited the area used but other than the fact that it was very old, it could not be verified as authentic. Still, the museum asked if I wanted to donate it, but in a moment of young sanity I decided to keep it. I kept it until a house fire in 1999 finished destroying it .

It was over 40 years ago that I found that bow. I have been an avid traditional Archery buff since. I still hunt with a Martin ML10 #70 pound long bow and a #45 Bear Kodiac recurve. I have made a couple of self flatbows from hickory staves and my next project will be a yew wood English long bow. I have even made a "SHTF" bow from PVC pipe following instructions I found on the internet. It would actually work as intended should SHTF happen, but there are better options!

Here is a good article about some founders of the archery sport. I have studied them all except Mr. Allen. Just not a compound bow enthusiac. Give me a stick and string!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.outdoorhub.com/amp/index.php/7-influential-men-modern-archery

Retired1, gumpy and SeventiesWreckers like this.