Lubing barrel before loading

Discussion in 'Black Powder' started by squirrelhunter, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Apr 28, 2018 #1

squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater  

Does anybody lube their barrel before loading? I was always told to run a dry patch through the barrel after cleaning and again after it had been in storage with lube in the barrel before loading because the moister would foul the gun powder. On another forum a guy is telling me to lube the barrel before loading and a dry patch should never be run down the barrel,is that right?

2. Apr 28, 2018 #2

VThillman

VThillman

VThillman

Geezer  

That guy is talking from a nether orifice.

squirrelhunter likes this.
  3. Apr 28, 2018 #3

squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater  

You mean the 1 crap comes out of?

SHOOTER13 and VThillman like this.
  4. Apr 28, 2018 #4

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42  

I think they are both right.....depending on where you live and "storage".
    If you live down on the gulf coast where humidity is rarely below 80% you want to leave the bore and chamber 'extra-juicy' to stand a prayer of keeping it from rusting while stored. If you run a dry patch down one of those and let it sit for 3 years, you'll be looking at rust.
    And I can attest that the first few rounds fired in an M1 carbine that is put up extra-juicy will spit black droplets back in your face; hence the dry patch before shooting.

On the other hand, if you live in Arizona where the humidity is rarely above 30% and you store it 'at-the-ready' with a round in the chamber and muzzle-up, it would be crazy to leave it extra-juicy as the oil would eventually go down and seep past the bullet into the powder. That's what would foul the powder, not moisture.

So there is not one good answer.
    (fortunately mine always stay dirty:rolleyes:)

5. Apr 29, 2018 #5

VThillman

VThillman

VThillman

Geezer  

Hey Supe, you had to go 'extra juicy' to make your point. The 'common' recommendation is a light film for storage. That won't run.

6. Apr 29, 2018 #6

squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater  

This guy I'm talking about isn't talking about storage he's talking about while shooting. The first thing he asked me was if I lube the barrel before loading to shoot. During the course of the conversation I said "Doesn't putting lubricant in there effect the burning of the powder and make it stick to the bore when you more it in?" His reply was "
    a small amount won't hurt your charge unless it sits loaded for a long time......
    if you're having to reload for a fast 2nd shot the little bit on the walls of the bore will go down much easier under the slug than if it were stuck dry....
    " He said that the barrel should always have lube in there and the inside of the barrel should never see a dry patch,here's how he said it "then, i'd be sure that bore never goes dry.....in storage, while firing, etc......muzzle loaders should never see a dry patch for any reason as this is one way a buildup / ring begins to form, making loading almost impossible."
    Supposedly this guy has been shooting muzzle loaders since 1972 but my problem with a "ring" began from the very beginning on the first shot. I even told him with a completely clean barrel that the T/C Shockwaves are hard to get all the way down and after the first shot you'd be lucky to get it half way down and no type of bullet goes down all the way on the second shot without a thorough cleaning. It's not from years of shooting,I think it's an undersized bore myself.

7. Apr 29, 2018 #7

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

By bad. I didn't realize this post was in the blackpowder forum. Disregard everything I said:assspank:.

VThillman and squirrelhunter like this.
  8. Apr 29, 2018 #8

squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater  

No problem. :wink:

9. Apr 30, 2018 #9

VThillman

VThillman

VThillman

Geezer  

I'm witchu, Supe. I don't mess with black powder, know nothing about it.

10. Apr 30, 2018 #10

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

I'm certainly no expert either. But I did learn- don't prime your nipple:eek:. It had been raining and 'they' said: "If you want to guarantee your gun doesn't misfire, prime your nipple". It will definitely not misfire. I was up in a tree and a monster-buck trotted right underneath. I aimed at his backbone behind the shoulder blades. The 750 grain 58 caliber minnie-ball hollow-point we developed would have dropped him right in his tracks.
    I heard "clunk" and stopped following him; then BOOM! Made a very impressive 4" diameter hole in the ground behind him you could have dropped a navel orange into.
    We shot BP a lot when I was young and growing up. Pops made us scrub them every time they got shot. (you never leave them loaded, so every time they got carried:rolleyes:).
    They didn't have Pyrodex back then so the FFFg we used had plenty of sulfur in it that makes acid with moisture in air if it's left dirty.
    (and people today worry about shooting ammo with corrosive primers, pshew!).
    We used Joy dishwashing liquid and hot water to clean them nasty bastids.
    Dry cloths to mop out the rinse-water. Then the usual 20-gauge mop wet with oil down the bore. We did 4 at a time, assembly-line style.
    We never once thought about a BP being put up 'extra-juicy', muzzle-up, and having the oil puddle up down in the chamber.
    In this case, it would definitely be a good idea to send a dry mop down there before shooting, especially if my little-brother oiled it:eek:.
    He would dip the mop into the oil pot and down the bore it went. He wasn't going to answer to my military dad why there was rust upon a random inspection. NoDeal.gif
    We weren't experts, but we killed a lot of deer with them old 'smoke-pipes'. nod.gif

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  11. May 5, 2018 #11

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

It depends on what your shooting for.

For fun, then it's not necessary.

IF you are shooting for accuracy (such as sighting your ML in) then yes! Just run a lightly lubed (wet) and a dry patch in and out before loading each time.

Ever notice the second, third load a bit harder to push in? That's why.

12. May 6, 2018 #12

squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater  

But this guy is saying a dry patch should NEVER touch the inside of the barrel. I can't get the second 1 down,period. I really think it's undersized myself.

13. May 6, 2018 #13

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

We had one .58 BP rifle that was very accurate with a minnie-ball......for the first 3 shots.
    (you never needed more than 2)
    Front-heavy as hell with an octagonal barrel but had the hammer underneath.
    A stroke of genius for 'keeping your powder dry' when it rained.
    It killed a lot of deer. Looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    We threw away our bows and broadheads after BP showed up:D.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  14. Oct 15, 2018 #14

Oldhand

Oldhand

Oldhand

Although I run a dry patch and pop a cap beore the first shot, after three shots I run a lubed patch down the barrel . If it is very dirty two. Never had a problem.