Rossi GS22 22LR semi-auto rifle

Discussion in 'Rifle Forum' started by VThillman, May 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. May 31, 2018 #1

VThillman

VThillman

VThillman

Geezer  

Picked up mine at the LGS last evening (a Davidson's GOG sale in partnership with the local dealer). Couldn't ignore the price. Field stripped and cleaned per Rossi's instructions this morning, reassembled and function checked, including feeding from the magazine. OK.

The appearance of the gun is up to snuff, as good as my Ruger 10/22 (from the '70s). the Rossi comes equipped with fiber-optic sights front and rear, sighted in (according to the manual) at 25 yards with standard velocity ammo. The receiver is grooved for 3/8 inch mounts. The one magazine provided (10 round capacity) looks a might crude, but functions OK. I found several listings for the magazine online, but none of them had them in stock.

Looks like it will be a week from Monday before I can get to the range.

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. May 31, 2018 #2

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Pics? I didn't even know Rossi made .22s...

3. Jun 1, 2018 #3

VThillman

VThillman

VThillman

Geezer  

This is Davidson's pic.
    GS22.jpg

The (shallow) monte carlo is present on both sides of the stock. The front sight isn't as strange as it appears in the pic; it is shrouded, to protect the fiber-optic rod. The elevation and windage adjusters for the rear sight are easily accessible - maybe too easy. the elevation knob is quite prominent.

The action may look like a Ruger 10/22, but it really ain't much like it. Hammer fired, that mechanism looks vaguely like the one in a Winchester Model 61. The bolt is considerably less massive than the 10/22's, and there is a plastic buffer behind it. The safety button is in the front of the trigger guard, and when on it blocks the hammer.

4. Jun 1, 2018 #4

SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13

SNIPER  

Looks good to go VT...!!

5. Jun 11, 2018 #5

VThillman

VThillman

VThillman

Geezer  

Took it to the range this morning. Sighted it in at 25 yards - windage was good, elevation (as I suspected) was not. Installed a BSA 5MOA red dot sight. and sighted it in at 25 and 50 yards. Note: the comb is too high for me using the open sights when they are sighted in; no problem with the red dot sight, the center of which is approximately 1" above the bore center.

The gun functioned perfectly with the Aguila "Super Extra" High velocity 40gr solids I fed it. The trigger pull is stiff but reasonably smooth, approximately that of the 'stock' Ruger 10/22 trigger.

Based on this rather brief experience, I suspect that this would be a good - and inexpensive - first rifle for a youngster, provided that the magazine can be altered to permit loading only one round. The field strip procedure detailed in the owner's manual is extensive - and simple - enough to enhance that purpose. The gun is light (4.1 pounds unloaded), and its operation conventional.

SHOOTER13 likes this.