Saw a Number 3

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by VThillman, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Sep 17, 2018 #1

VThillman

VThillman

VThillman

Geezer  

I went to the range this morning to sight in a new-to-the-gun scope on my RAR .22-250. That worked out well, and I am suitably impressed with the Vortex Crossfire II. Nice. After heating the barrel as much as seemed sensible, I put my gear in the car and went to see what the guy shooting on the 50 yard range was doing. What he was doing was checking his Ruger Number 3's readiness in preparation for deer season. What a sweet little carbine that is; first one I'd seen 'in real life'. This one is chambered in .243, I think from a casual look at a case, though I didn't ask. It appeared to be in perfect condition.

There are, of course, business reasons for gun models to go out of production. Esthetics don't matter much if the gun doesn't sell in sufficient numbers. Those are some fine esthetics though.

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. Sep 18, 2018 #2

VThillman

VThillman

VThillman

Geezer  

On that range trip I also brought my Ruger American Ranch 450 BM. I had sighted it in (using a Simmons red dot) to 100 yards using Hornady Black Box 250 gr. FTX (the pointy bullets). This time I brought some 300 grain Speer JSP, loaded close to max. They grouped about 6 inches low at 100 yards - those that fed. The RAR push feed ain't up to it. Guess I should have saved up my dimes 'til I could spring for the Gunsite Scout model. That uses the 77 MKII action, which is 'mostly' controlled feed.

Oh well, I will pull the bullets and reload with 250 FTX. Kinda disappointing though.

SHOOTER13 likes this.