The 357 Blackhawk Convertible lives!

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by MagBlackhawk, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Feb 7, 2018 #1

MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk

Ruger fixed my new 357 Mag / 9mm SS Blackhawk convertible... it works now.
    The grips that came on it were way too thin so I bought a set from a grip maker in AZ. These fit my hand and are made of oak.
    Here's a pic.... Range Report Below.
    DSCN2677.JPG
    I started shooting at 25 yd's...
    125 gr 357 magnums and 124 gr 9mm Win Nato ammo both seemed to be going a little high but to the same POA.
    So two clicks down, a 40 oz trigger return spring and over to the 50 yd range...
    Two more clicks down and one click left put my 125 gr / H110 loads on at 50 and with pretty good "starting off" accuracy. (Some 6" groups).
    To my surprise Win 9mm 124 gr Nato ammo went to the same POI as did the 357 magnums at 50 yd and with better accuracy than I expected.
    My very accurate 125 gr / SR7625 plinking loads (in 357 brass) also went to the same POI but that was no surprise, they always shoot with 125 gr mag's in revolvers.
    The sights on this Lipsey's gun are better than any I've had on standard Blackhawks.
    This could turn out to be a very accurate revolver. (With 357's). :wink: When time allows... I'll find out. ;)

2. Feb 7, 2018 #2

Ten ese

Ten ese

Ten ese

VERY NICE!!

That was one of the Blackhawks I recently purchased - the stainless .357/9MM convertible with 5.5" barrel. It's still in the box.:oops:

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  3. Feb 8, 2018 #3

MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk

Still in the box? :huh: I see the words you wrote but I'm having trouble understanding them... ("It's still in the box") ... ??? :confused;

Hey Ten, you gotta go out and shoot that 357/nine. I wanna compare notes about 9mm ammo thru these things.

squirrelhunter likes this.
  4. Feb 8, 2018 #4

Ten ese

Ten ese

Ten ese

I have severe cabin fever. The weather has been crummy for 2 months; cold, drippy, gray, and just BLEHHHH! I have not been in the mood to go shooting.

If the weather gets nice this weekend, I'll go test it out!

5. Feb 11, 2018 #5

MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk

I don't think the 5.5" barrel, in 357 mag, has ever been offered as a standard cataloged model, only as an exclusive... I could be wrong though.
    If I'm right that gun could gain some real collectors value someday assuming they don't start flooding the market with them.

:D

squirrelhunter and Ten ese like this.
  6. Feb 12, 2018 #6

Ten ese

Ten ese

Ten ese

You are right! It was a Lipseys Special run. Hmmmmm. Now you are making me think I should leave it in the box, unfired.

squirrelhunter likes this.
  7. Feb 12, 2018 #7

Ten ese

Ten ese

Ten ese

Ruger Customer Service has always been top rate in my book. BUT, I find that a poor substitute for quality manufacturing in the first place.

Ruger's production quality has slipped considerably since my previous round of multiple "New" Ruger revolvers, 13 - 15 years ago.

Last Fall, I purchased 3 Ruger Blackhawks and a Super Blackhawk. They are all in working order, but their actions are rough and gritty. There are no broken parts, as far as I can tell. Their fit and finish are nowhere near as nice as revolvers coming from the Ruger factory were 10-15 years ago. The three Blackhawks are brushed stainless steel finishes, with convertible cylinders. The brushed finish is uneven on all three of them. One of them had tool or some other metal contact scratches on the barrel a half inch behind the muzzle. Another one had scratch marks all over the left side of the blued front sight.

The Super Blackhawk is also stainless steel finish, and it is the worst finish pattern out of all four new revolvers I purchased. The barrel was crudely brushed before the front sight mount was fixed onto the barrel. Then the barrel was brushed again, after the front sight mounting, and the two brush patterns don't match.

All of this on top of them costing twice as much as Ruger Vaqueros I bought 13 years ago, that came with bright polished finishes and perfect fit and finish of the grips.

I'm happy I was able to get the four revolvers I got, because three of them were Lipseys Exclusives. All four were ordered sight unseen, from internet dealers, and I had no opportunity to inspect them ahead of purchase. I suppose I could send them back to Ruger for "cleanup" finishing, but I'm afraid to. It would probably be a big PITA, and there's no guarantee that they would come back looking any better, or have any better actions.

All of the cylinders rotate and lock up properly. The triggers and hammers all work properly. They are just gritty and heavy. All of the grips are going to get replaced with Hogue black rubber Monogrips, for target shooting.

Fortunately, I have all the tools and experience to "clean them up" and do action jobs on them, based on all my previous ownership of Ruger revolvers. It should not be necessary to have to "clean them up" when they are brand new.

I just find it sad that we pay almost $700 to get a brand new revolver, and it comes less than excellent condition, from the factory. I have bought used Ruger revolvers in better shape, in the past. Witness the Single Six I included for comparison.

The four Rugers I recently purchased are shown below, plus my previously owned Ruger Single Six 6.5" Barrel .22LR and .22WMR Convertible.

DSC03206.JPG

The Blackhawk at the far right is the 5.5" Barrel .45 Colt and .45 AUTO Convertible.

The Super Blackhawk is second from right, and is the 5.5" Barrel .44 Magnum.

The Blackhawk in the center is the 6.5" Barrel 10MM AUTO and .40 S&W Convertible.

The Blackhawk second from the left is the 5.5" Barrel .357 Magnum and 9MM Convertible.

The Ruger Single Six 6.5" Barrel .22LR and .22WMR Convertible is on the far left. I have owned it for 15 years. I just included it for comparison between the "old" Ruger productions, and the new ones. It was used when I bought it.

The .45 Colt/.45 AUTO is the only one of the four recently purchased that I have shot, so far. It functioned perfectly, and has the nicest fit and finish of the four. It had the scratches on the left side of the front sight. I touched them up with cold blue. It was the one I bought first, last September.

The other three were purchased in November and December. The .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk is the one with the worst brush finish that I mentioned before. It doesn't show in this picture, but closeup view shows the different brush finish.

All four are functional/shootable, as far as I can tell at this point. I'll post more data later, plus close up pictures, as I get a chance to spend more time inspecting and shooting the other three.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  8. Feb 12, 2018 #8

MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk

I saw you pics on another thread... I could tell the Single Six was an older gun, by the grip fitment.
    I would laugh if it weren't so sad to learn that most of the new ones have as poor of a finish and fit as my new Blackhawk.
    I replaced the grips on mine and fitted them best I could. Gonna just leave the machine marks in the stainless but try to do more about the trigger.

When I found grips for my late 70's Blackhawk on eBay about 10 years ago, Perfect Fit... just like the originals.
    Things change. :confused:

Ten ese likes this.
  9. Feb 12, 2018 #9

VThillman

VThillman

VThillman

Geezer  

There is a persistent rumor that Harry Truman believed that "The buck stops here." The corollary to that is "The fix starts here." With Mr. Ruger, in this case.

10. Feb 12, 2018 #10

Ten ese

Ten ese

Ten ese

Usually NOT for the better, it seems!