Who is the most famous person you have met?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by havasu, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Mar 14, 2018 #1

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member   Moderator  

Inquiring minds want to know....

2. Mar 14, 2018 #2

dancer4life

dancer4life

dancer4life

Darksider  

Hank Williams Jr.

threetango likes this.
  3. Mar 14, 2018 #3

303tom

303tom

303tom

Uncle Ted !......

4. Mar 14, 2018 #4

Gen-admission

Gen-admission

Gen-admission

Darksider  

Hmmm...
    EITHER
    Jeff Bezos [he shook my hand and thanked me for my
    concontributions to avionics in the New Glenn program]
    Or When he was secretary of defense:
    Dick Cheynney [spelling?]

5. Mar 14, 2018 #5

RichR

RichR

RichR

disremember  

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan and Jake "The Snake" Roberts.
    When I was in HS, I worked as a bus boy at a Holiday Inn in Grantville, PA. Wrestlers would sometimes stop in for dinner before matches in Hershey. They were both super nice guys. And boy, did they put a hurtin' on our Prime Rib buffet!

6. Mar 14, 2018 #6

Dutchs

Dutchs

Dutchs

Moderator Staff Member Moderator

50 cent.....

Bubba2001 likes this.
  7. Mar 14, 2018 #7

MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk

Well, it was worth a try.  

Former NASCAR Drivers:
    Bill Elliott,
    Davey Allison,
    Met them and crew chief for Tim Richmond, Harry Hyde while I was looking to get into the sport in the late 80's.
    Harry agreed to hire me.... Everything in my life soon changed so I never went back for the job.
    Bill is the only one of the four still living.

Motorcycle roadracing champion Kevin Schwantz.
    Kevin was leaving club racing and going Pro when I was starting to race in the club.
    .... The Good Old Days .... :D

Support Gunner likes this.
  8. Mar 14, 2018 #8

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member   Moderator  

I shook hands with Liberace at a discount store between his house in Palm Springs and Beverly Hills. Had a birthday cake and got sang to by Bruce Willis during a movie set I was working, I sat next to Elvis Presley and watched my sister get up on stage with Bobby Darin in Las Vegas, ran security for Mel Gibson during his controversial play "Passion of the Christ", and saw the Beatles in Las Vegas in 1964.

9. Mar 14, 2018 #9

threetango

threetango

threetango

~~~Top~~~  

In the past, Jr Walker, Percy Sledge.
    General "Stormin" Norman Schwarzkopf
    Gulf War

Most recent, got to talk with Clint Black (Country singer) in Mogadishu.

Mrs 3T got to meet Charlton Heston in Mogadishu

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  10. Mar 15, 2018 #10

msharley

msharley

msharley

Jerry Miculek. Dave Olhaso. Josh Lenz.

11. Mar 15, 2018 #11

BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX

Honestly, I've had a few opportunities to meet famous folks but almost every time, I stayed towards the back of the crowd or avoided them altogether. was during a USO Variety Show tour I had to drive for in 1985 in Torre Jon AB, Spain. During that event, I met and drove, among others, Catherine Bach (Daisy Duke), Ruth Buzzi (Laugh In), Barry Williams (Greg Brady). The ladies were very sweet.

Most famous...I shook hands with President George HW Bush twice. First time in 1989 at the tiny local airport in West Yellowstone, MT., when then President Bush came to check out the damage caused by the Yellowstone NP fires. Bush flew in on AF-1 and transferred to a helicopter for his trip to Dick Cheney's home. Second time was in Spring of 2006 outside a DFAC at Al Udeid AB, Qatar, when he was on a Middle East trip to a funeral for some partner nation dignitary (can't remember who's funeral).

Honestly, I'm really not much for celebrities. I'd probably like to drink a beer with Jimmy Buffet, but otherwise, I'm not really on the lookout for the hassle that goes with dealing with these folks.

msharley likes this.
  12. Mar 16, 2018 #12

VThillman

VThillman

VThillman

Geezer  

Charles Bronson. Well, sort of; he was going in a store in Windsor, VT when I was leaving.

SHOOTER13 and msharley like this.
  13. Mar 16, 2018 #13

msharley

msharley

msharley

Richard Davis. Patrick Sweeney. Massad Ayoob.

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  14. Mar 16, 2018 #14

Oldhand

Oldhand

Oldhand

Vice President Hubert Humphrey, Kitty Wells, Bob Hope, the Valentine Brothers from wrestling. The Vice president while at an FFA convention, Kitty Wells while stationed in Italy. Bob Hope at a Christmas Show in Korea, the Valentines while stationed in Georgia.

msharley likes this.
  15. Mar 16, 2018 #15

DaveF

DaveF

DaveF

Carrot Top while shopping for running shoes for my son. He lives close to us in Winter Park. An employee of the store recognized him and Carrot Top was really happy to be recognized. Down to earth and very friendly.

I was face to face with Chris Evert in Aspen. I was at a playground with my son when he was a toddler. I bent down to pick him up and when I stood up she was almost in my face. Gave me a look that said don't bother me or talk to me. Totally different than Carrot Top.

Only real others that I recall were all professional runners and triathletes that I have met at races or trained with, Frank Shorter, Neil Cusack, Dick Burkle, Jeff Galloway, Bill Rodgers, Priscilla Welch, Lothar Leder, Hunter Kemper, and some others. Although, some of them may not claim to be famous they were all the greatest athletes in their sports in their time. I think everyone probably knows Frank. He is as dry as the lawyer that he is. Bill however, never stops smiling. Dick set the world indoor record in the mile back in the 70's and was one of the very first to do 3 miles under 13:00. Neil won the Boston Marathon and the World Cross Country championships. Priscilla won the New York marathon at over 40 years of age. She was a heavy eater, smoker, and drinker into her 30's until she decided to start training one day. Lothar set the world Ironman record and was the first guy to do so under 8 hours. A few weeks before doing that, I thought he was simply a good amateur. Hunter represented the US in four Olympics in the triathlon. His Olympic results never matched his ability. One year he kept trading wins with the top guy in the world who went on to win the Olympics. Hunter should have at least been second. I have been fortunate to be able to train at one time or another with all those people except for Frank & Bill, but I did get to run with Frank on one occasion. I would have preferred running with Bill as he has a much better sense of humour:D

16. Mar 16, 2018 #16

Dutchboy

Dutchboy

Dutchboy

Janet Reno and Louis Freeh at my graduation.

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  17. Mar 17, 2018 #17

Dutchs

Dutchs

Dutchs

Larry Csonka and Jim Kicck.....they are part owners of TGIF ready to drink alcohol drinks.....

DaveF likes this.
  18. Mar 17, 2018 #18

Dutchs

Dutchs

Dutchs

Nasty Boys (002).jpg Nasty Boys.....

19. Mar 17, 2018 #19

squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater  

Nobody. :cry:

SHOOTER13 and MagBlackhawk like this.
  20. Mar 17, 2018 #20

aDave

aDave

aDave

Shoot, in all honesty, I've probably met more celebrities (mainly) than I can think of from working in Los Angeles for 34 years. Being in the FD afforded all sorts of different opportunities to meet folks at functions and within the community while working. I'm not enamored by them by any stretch, but most I met were rather pleasant.

Back in the day, my best friend was Vin Scully's son. It was always neat to go over to Vin's house and simply chat with him. He's a great man. Unfortunately, his son was killed in a helicopter crash in '94, and I ended up losing touch with them. A couple of years ago, I ran into Vin and his wife in a local Costco. It was fun catching up. Vin's son and I used to go to Dodger games all the time, go into the locker room, and have a beer in Tommy LaSorda's office (he had a kegerator). LaSorda was also neat to visit with, and celebs often stopped by as well. Locker room visits ended, however, when Steve Howe ended up having his cocaine problem.

Most fun and interesting meeting was with Larry the Cable Guy. My family was eating dinner in a local restaurant, and he was seated at the table next to us...by himself. Turns out, his daughter lives in the next town over from us, and he was out to visit her. It was a fun evening just talking with the guy. No photos, no autographs, no cut up on his part. Just a pleasant evening all the way around.